A Horrible Experience With C1 Truck Driving School Indianapolis, Indiana

After answering an ad for truck driver with paid training, I talked to a recruiter and signed up. I drove 900 miles to Indianapolis. I was placed at a Holiday Inn Express. I was put with a room mate who left after 1 day. I was then switched from room to room, room mate to room mate. The hotel manager treated the C1 students with disdain. We were warned to not hang around the front of the hotel and relegated to the back parking lot to smoke. Our rooms were subject to searches for drugs and/or alcohol. We were bunked 3 to a room for 3 nights when the hotel overbooked. I was given a cot with a fitted sheet-no blanket.

The first week was book learning. Our instructor was a cranky ex-driver who took verbal shots at anyone who didn't suit her. We were treated and spoken to like kindergarteners. I passed my CDL written tests.

The 2nd week we went out to the driving area to begin our time in the truck. This was November in Indiana. It was so cold and misty raining. 2 people were taken into the truck at a time. With a group of about 17, I stood in the parking lot, soaked to the skin for 2 hours before I had truck time. I got in the drivers seat of the truck. This was the 1st time I had been in a semi. The instructor had me back up and pull forward. I was having difficulty and the truck drifted. He made me so nervous and berated me for drifting. After 15 minutes I got out and waited another 2 hours in the rain. I was already fighting an ear infection and my right ear was clogged.

The next day I was sick with a cold and ear trouble. My shoes were still soaked from the day before. I was assigned to an instructor to have me drive on the road. It was loud in the truck with the engine running and with him to my right I was having trouble hearing. I turned left instead of right and he went into a tirade, telling me that it was his *** truck and I WOULD follow his instruction. I was grinding gears, trying to find the right pattern. He would growl at me to stop grinding the gears. He took the gear shift and jammed it into place 2 or 3 times. I was panicking and about to cry. I finally had enough and told him I wanted out of the driver seat. He yelled at me,"You can't just stop when you want to!" I made it back to the parking area of the school but ran over a grassy area. He turned and yelled at me, saying,"Oh that's just great! Now your tearing up the property!" The instructor had me fill out a form, failing me for the day. I went to the front office person. I was devastated, in tears and furious. I told her I would not be treated that way. They dismissed me from the school which I had already decided to leave. There's no way that I could learn in that environment.

I wouldn't recommend this school to anyone. Particularly women. All of the instructors that I encountered were nasty, condescending and disrespectful.

Report Comment Private message author

Helpful? 8 Yes 8 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Mar 28 #1135030

I attended that C-1 Truck Driving School in Indianapolis Indiana also it was a bad environment to learn. The instructors acted more like Correction Officers in a prison. There were too many students in the class.

2 0 Reply

Jan 02 #1087456

The school is great just pay attention all instructors are great except Dale Dale is the only one there that you can tell is just there for a Check he's rude he doesn't know how to instruct or talk to people he has no personality at all he doesn't care if you pass or fail besides that everyone else is great

0 0 Reply

Jan 02 #1087438

I went to c1 was a great experience people who don't listen or people who have no business behind the wheel they are hard on every instructor except Dale is great very understanding people that have bad things to say are the the ones who just don't grasp what there teaching the only time I've seen them grab the shifter is after they try and tell you what to do when you can't get it into gear and your to *** to do what they say then they will jam into gear for u bc some people just didn't do what they said they give u plenty of instruction to get it on your own when u have a prob if you pay attention and do what they say you'll be fine everyone that I was there with passed and if your struggle you can get extra help on the weekends I was there exactly three weeks some people I was with were there four but everyone got there license they *** out the idiots that shouldn't be on the road if you can't handle this school don't bother driving bc the school is easy true life atlot more sressful

0 1 Reply
GoodDriver

Mar 28 #1135268 Atlanta, Georgia

You and I must have attended a different school. It was one of the most horrible experiences of my life.

1 0 Reply
Chris

May 24, 2014 #819545 Fort Worth, Texas

I'm in the school in Fort Worth , the classroom guy Eric was really nice and patient with us he seems like one of the better ones . I just had my first week at the yard an they were totally different and rude , I hope that it will get better but at the end of the day the only person that will make me fail will be me if I let the negetive people get me down . It just means I will have to study harder . Anyways good luck and god bless .

1 0 Reply
nikalseyn

Dec 08, 2013 #754660 Columbia, Kentucky

You are apparently a female who cannot take verbal criticism. This is normal for your gender. Perhaps now you realize you are not cut out to be a truck driver. Time to pick another career and do so soon in order to get on with making a career in something other than flipping burgers at McDonald's. Driving a semi is really not an easy job, young lady. And, not that financially rewarding, either.

0 6 Reply
Chris

May 24, 2014 #819539 Fort Worth, Texas

It sounds like u might be the *** person who did this to her ! She sounds like she wasn't given a good instructor. She sounds like are needs someone to take the time to train her almost anyone can be trained if given the right trainer .. Good luck mama don't let punks like them discourage u keep on trucking and good luck !!!

8 0 Reply

Sep 19, 2015 #1035931

Chris, I was thinking the same thing. While women are still pretty new to trucking, if they want to hit the road good for them. It's pitiful when instructors, many of whom have no business in a training or teaching position, act like its their responsibility to keep women out by acting like turds! Stay with it ma'am, find a quality school, and get that CDL. It won't always be easy, even with a good instructor, but if you set your mind to it you can do this. It's not easy but it's also not rocket science. Good luck to you, and God Bless!

3 0 Reply
GoodDriver

Mar 28 #1135269 Atlanta, Georgia

Are you an instructor there? Yours seems to be the general attitude and culture of the school. I took a chance on something new. It didn't work out but I am well settled now and NOT flipping burgers. I also hated Indianapolis. What a depressed place to spend even a few weeks.

2 0 Reply

Jul 13 #1184679 Miami, Florida

Nielsen: I was truly disturbed by your idiotic response. I truly hope you do not have children because they will be very badly traumatized with your attitude. There is constructive criticism (which is very helpful) and then there is negative criticism such as yours and I guess the type that this lady was referring to. My advice to you is to go back to school and learn manners and how to be a better human being. Shame on you. And I thought Neanderthals no longer existed_!!

0 0 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.